Elements of Business Skills
Element of Business Skills Syllabus 7066 aims to develop in students the knowledge, skills and attitudes to be productive employees and contributing members of society.
The services sector continues to contribute to Singapore’s economic growth and offer employment opportunities. It is intended that this syllabus provides students with opportunities to develop generic employability skills, values and attitudes and foundational knowledge for work in the services sector, namely in the travel and tourism, hospitality and retail industries.
This syllabus is an introduction to business through an understanding of business activities, focusing on basic marketing and customer relations. These are learnt in the context of businesses in the travel and tourism, hospitality and retail industries, which offer employment opportunities accessible to the students.
The context of knowledge and application is in the local situation in Singapore.
The syllabus also provides students with the foundation for further studies at institutes of higher learning. Through this course of study, students become aware of the prospects and challenges of a career in the services sector.
It is offered as an elective subject at Secondary Three and examinable at the GCE Normal (Technical) Level.
The syllabus enables students to develop:
1. basic understanding of business activities in the travel and tourism, hospitality and
2. basic marketing concepts and customer relations skills
3. basic employability skills for working in the travel and tourism, hospitality and retail industries
4. analytical and evaluative skills and the ability to make judgments; and
5. sell and relationship management, social awareness, and responsible decision-making
Students will be able to develop the employability and cognitive skills of:
· personal effectiveness
· problem solving and decision making
· information and communication technologies
· communication and relationship management
· initiative and enterprise; and
· learning and personal development
Approach and Pedagogy
· Adoption of Mixed Mode Delivery (MMD) such as demonstration, explicit teaching, games,
inquiry, mind-mapping, pair work, role-play and think-pair-share
· Infusion of Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
· Linkage of concepts that students learn in the classroom to authentic businesses
· Practice of Assessment for Learning through relevant toolkits
· Usage of Differentiated Instructions (DI)
· Participation in competitions by external organisations
· Collaboration between schools on the sharing of question papers and mark schemes of Mid-
year Examinations, End-of-year Examinations and Preliminary Examinations
Refer to the link for further information.
· GCE Normal (Technical) Level: 7066
Level / Stream
Secondary 4 / Normal (Technical)
1 hour 30 minutes
There will be 4 to 5 short-response and structured questions
(i) with helping words;
(ii) requiring short answers, not necessarily in complete sentences
Activity type and pictorial questions may be included.